Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Divine Preparation


Well here it finally is, as I promised. This post has been really hard to get to since I am still trying to get through the past events, and up to date. I had mentioned in an earlier post that God had been preparing us for this time, and I really believe that. I am going to take the next few paragraphs to explain a bit about us, so your not lost.

I am 30 years old, and have grown up in a "Christian" home. I am fortunate to have both parents in my life, and still together. I rebelled until I was out of high school, and then made a deal with God. I told him you do these three things, and I'll really start to follow you. Two days later it all happened, I had not told a soul about this either. I started to make the "right choices" in life, after numerous years of making foolish ones. I had good "christian" friends like Eddie Roach, Nick Delaney, and Craig Bunck all whom I am still friends with. Nick and Craig introduced me to BJ, the youth pastor, who in turn introduced me to Master's Commission ( http://www.masterscommissionusa.com/ that is the one that started them all) in Bellevue, NE.

The next year all three of us went, and I met some of the most Godly men I have ever met in that place. Pastors Hoyt, Whitlock, Tellez, Hooker (his real last name), Moen, and our fearless director Schneckloth. We had a great year, and Nick and I continued for a total of 3. I met Sarah there, and she fell in love with me at first glance. Who could blame her, right? OK, we both thought the other annoying in some sense, although she did think I was divine, lol. We did end up dating for about 2 years, then were married.

We have been through the gamut of marriage trials, and have still managed to stay together. All that I am knows that without God, Sarah and I would not be together. Not that we don't love each other, we do, but on both sides there has been enough damage to destroy 99% of marriages. We regularly saw a marriage counselor from March of 2006 until September of 2009, from Sep. 2009 to Nov. 2009 it was off and on. We have since stopped going, we have both been too busy but are strong enough, and wise enough to know we can go back anytime, and we are not weaker because of it.

So I know you have seen a reoccurring theme in my post, or I hope you have, and that is my mention of God. We are both believers in Jesus Christ, and try to live a life worthy of the calling with which we have received. What does that looks like, I believe looks different depending on what God has called us to, and what "season" we are going through. Now I can give you the Sunday morning answer and say that means "We are followers of the Most High, and that means we love Jesus, and spread his joy, love, and gospel where ever we are and go. People know we are Christians because we are proud of it and proclaim it in the streets". If that is you, I'm not knocking it, what I will say is that is not me. I know people like that, I have some good friends like that, again, it's not me.

There was a season that it was me, preaching on the corners, calling out for people to repent, wearing "Got Christ" T-shirts. That season has passed, for at least the time being, it may return, who knows. I have even been on the other end, keeping relatively quiet about my faith, I feel like I was not living to my fullest. So where am I now? I am where I need to be, I love Jesus, and I am down to earth. I have been forgiven of much, so I have learned compassion and forgiveness. I have learned so much through the last 10 years of my life that has help shape me into what I believe to be a well rounded person.

I am also blessed to have the "helpmate" that I have. She often wonders about being a stay at home mom, she struggles with wondering if she is doing any good. I try to tell her she is invaluable, and I would never want anyone else with our children as much as she is with them. She is what we need. I have the comfort of knowing that she will not steer our children wrong; besides teaching them the wrong way to make a machine gun sound (I hope there's still time to reteach our twins). She balances us out, and we need it. We need someone to tell us "It's cuddle time", and we need someone to teach us to be more sensitive. We absolutely need her in our lives in order for us to be whole. I would have said complete, however, I am reminded of Jerry McGuire and that is way too corney. The last thing we need her for is to make us a little girl/sister in the future. If you know us, don't ask, we are not, and may never be, but it is a thought.

Romans 8:28 says "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose". Sarah and I have talked about how much that pertains to our lives together, our family's life. We believe that all that crap we went through a few years ago, and learned from, has helped us be able to withstand the "Storm" we are going through. Because of those past struggles, we have learned and continue to do so, the value of communication, forgiveness, not taking it personal (Whatever "it" is), love, acceptance, and accepting failure. When I say that some may gasp, others may say "How can you accept failure, that is unacceptable". The later was me, and unfortunately I really believed that. I have since been knocked off my high horse and I have learned that it is a normal part of being human. Someone famous once said "To err is human, to forgive divine" I like that.

I have failed people in the past and present, and will do so in the future. The same goes for my family, friends and others, and it is OK. We are not perfect, and God doesn't expect us to be. David was a huge failure at times, and interestingly enough Acts 13:22 says After removing Saul, he made David their king. He testified concerning him: 'I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.' I think that verse is amazing.

As I type I feel like God is speaking something over our family, and I want to share it with you. So undeserving is the family of Strong Towers, and yet I (God) love them, bless them, and allow them to fall, never abandoning them. I (God) never leave them so the wolves may devour them, I (God) set them high on a hill for all to see. Maybe its a word for you too, maybe not, I just wanted to share it.

That is what we, the TORRES Family are all about. We love God, we know that he is more than able to heal our boy, whether by divine intervention, or through the hand of a man. A man he gave the knowledge and understanding to, a man he allowed to learn secrets that only a select few may know. A man he has allowed to learn secretes from the past that he may learn from them and continue to bless those who may not believe. That is how we feel. We are not the type of people who say "Don't say your sick" when you have a funny nose, and a temp. of 103. We know the power of the tongue, and respect that, but we also live in an imperfect world. If God wants X to be healed he will be, if not now then later. Our ways are not his, and we lean not on our own understanding.

One more thing, we would not be who we are today if it were not for our families, and our friends, both who have taught us so much. We are both blessed to have wonderful families, imperfect and wonderful. For us, our parents were the reason we even knew there was a God, what greater gift can you give your child? Thanks.

OK this is far more than I wanted to write, if you don't know us, and have questions feel free to ask, that's why we're here. One more thing if you know someone who was recently diagnosed with a seizure disorder let them know about us, I found it very helpful to read others experiences, and that is why we have this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment